Why Is Milk White? Fun Food Facts

By | April 1, 2018

We are hearing from the time we were little kids, how important drinking a glass of milk was. For some, their mothers would run around the house with the glass behind them, while others would finish it in a gulp. It’s a well-known fact that milk is a whole or complete food. Some of us might have wondered as kids, why the color of the milk is white? Well, let’s find out the answer.

Why Is Milk White

Why Is Milk White In Color | Discoverfoodtech.com

Milk is an emulsion meaning a stable mixture of oil or fat in water. It also has significant amounts of carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamin, and minerals. These components have a total share of 13% while the rest 87% is water. Fats and protein molecules especially casein (a type of milk protein) scatter and deflect the light falling onto them uniformly. This makes the milk appear fairly opaque and white in color. Hence the composition of fats and casein in milk are the major contributors to its color.